OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Leslie Sours <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Sours <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2012 21:16:41 -0400
I habitually scan the flocks of Canada geese that gather in the OSU fields hoping to relocate a collared goose that returns each year.  I have never seen ANY other kind of goose mixed in with the Canada Geese, and I have stared at a lot of geese during my daily walk.  At 7:25 this evening, I scanned each of a flock of 103 CANG (no collars!) and one goose popped out from the rest.

My goose ID skills are rudimentary, and the sun was down.  I had to study this goose under the lights illuminating the rugby field at the corner of Kenny and Carmack Rds at Beekman Park.  This goose was at the outer edge of the flock,  the furthest distance from the rugby players, and closest to the pond.  I wish I had seen the bill, but it was buried in the muddy grass feeding vigorously.

This was what I could see:  it was slightly smaller than the CANG, it had a stockier belly that was strikingly whiter, the legs were pinky-orange, the face was white behind the bill, and the head, neck and chest were a lovely silky mouse-brown/gray.

 I will return in the morning to try to relocate it.  If anyone else happens to see it, please let me know if it is, indeed, a GWFG.  The geese are in the surrounding cornfields during the day but gather at the ponds in the early morning and evening.  If I have sent you on a wild goose chase and it turns out to be a Graylag, I apologize in advance.

Leslie

Sent from my iPad