OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2012 22:00:34 -0400
I wanted to reiterate Bob's comment on the autumn this year that we are
having in SE Ohio - undoubtedly one of the best I can remember in 10 years
or more in this location, which is very rural Morgan county near Burr Oak
State Park -  where trees are the rule.  Earlier in autumn, the various ash
species were aglow with cosmic and indescribable colors.  They retained
their leaves well into October when usually they are the first to go. The
maple species as well, especially Sugar maple have been stunning.  Now that
those species have mostly shed, oak and hickory are showing what I consider
to be the second peak of fall. Sassafras, Pawpaw, spicebush, dogwood, and
winged sumac have all had remarkable seasons as well.  Drought conditions
sort of ended locally here in August - we received about 12 inches of rain
that month and it has been quite dry since then.  The forest is having a
remarkable fall and mast year.

Anyhow, on the avian front - this has been the fall of the Yellow-rumped
warbler. These birds have been everywhere and in good numbers consistently
now for a couple weeks.  Red-breasted nuthatch are nearly common, Pine
siskins and Purple finch at the feeder - how much better can it get? Sure,
Evening grosbeaks and Red crossbills - of course.  Hundreds of Blue jay and
robin passing through daily as well.  Good birding here.  I had a
Sharp-shinned give pursuit to a Cedar waxwing which it captured and had a
hard time dispatching or there was just no rush I guess.  Three days later I
found the remains of a Flicker in the same spot.

Glen Crippen
Burr Oak Lake