OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2012 14:35:57 -0700

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "do-not-reply@ebird

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 5:11 PM
Subject: eBird Report - Miami Whitewater Wetlands, Oct 25, 2012

Miami Whitewater Wetlands, Hamilton, US-OH
Oct 25, 2012 7:30 AM - 10:35 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.7 mile(s)
Comments:     Morning fog and dew before sunrise. Eight Eastern cottontails and five white-tailed deer were among the mammal species seen. About 9 a.m. ran into Dennis Roth who was playing a song of Nelson's sparrow on his Ipod with iMangoX adapter. When I ran into him he had his binoculars up and when I saw what he was looking at, it was a Marsh Wren teed up right in front of him!!! I was looking for Nelson's and Le Conte's sparrows. He has used playback in the past to attract both, as well as other species that respond. We did not have any luck with either. In addition to the list below, Dennis also had a Lincoln's sparrow.
26 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  15
Northern Harrier  1
rail sp.  1     Near bat house. Flushed from cattails at my feet, flew low and short distance away, dropped back down into dense clump of cattails. Light brown, tannish tones with light streaks on back. Too light for Virginia. About robin-sized. Thought to be a juv. sora but even a yellow rail could not be ruled out.
Killdeer  1
Mourning Dove  6
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  3
American Kestrel  1
Blue Jay  2
Carolina Chickadee  3
Marsh Wren  1     Teed up, responding to playback of Nelson's sparrow.
Carolina Wren  4
Eastern Bluebird  2     Heard only. Maybe more.
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
Eastern Towhee  3
Field Sparrow  15
Savannah Sparrow  1