OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2012 13:38:35 -0400
Today was pretty remarkable.  It was very interesting how it started here.
By 9:00 I had only counted 4 ducks.  About 9:15 the ducks started coming and
between 9:15 and 11:00 ducks were almost constant.  When they first started
moving I had several huge flocks of scoters (190, 120, 90, 70).  After that,
scoters were regular but there were no flocks larger than 20.  I quit
counting at 12:00, but I am occasionally watching and there are still small
numbers of scoters now and then.  All in all, about 1500 scoters for the
day.   Over 5,500 scaup for the day.

The brant passed by around 10:00.  It was noticeable because it was heading
west whereas almost all of the other birds were going east.  The eider was
with a group of 3 white-winged scoters.  Like Jerry Talkington's bird I
suspected it was a common eider due to color and shape.  Distance was too
great to be certain.  The harlequins were a single young male and a female
with a group of bufflehead.  The long-tailed ducks were all in a single
flock.  I believe this was my largest flock of long-tailed ducks for Ohio.
I also had a distant flock of white-winged scoters that contained three
birds that may have been eiders.  The distance was just too great, but they
sure looked interesting.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey

Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake County

October 27, 2012, 0745-1200

Weather- cloudy with rain, Wind- NE 25-35

Temperature 46-45 F, Barometer- 30.07-30.10

Humidity- 93-92, dew point- 44-50

Waves- 8-10 feet, Direction- east

Canada goose   2

BRANT   1

Gadwall   26

American wigeon   2

American black duck   14

Mallard   86

Green-winged teal   2

Canvasback   6

Redhead   21

Ring-necked duck   24

Greater scaup   306

Lesser scaup   2,216

Scaup   spp.   3,457

EIDER SPP.   1 female

HARLEQUIN DUCK   2 (1 female, 1 young male)

SURF SCOTER   352

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER   173

BLACK SCOTER   611

SCOTER SPP.   420

LONG-TAILED DUCK   38

Bufflehead   134

Common goldeneye   18

Red-breasted merganser

Ruddy duck   44

Unidentified duck  1,000+  Many far out when it was raining hard.

Common loon   3

Double-crested cormorant   437

JAEGER SPP.   1

Bonaparte's gull   78