OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2012 16:37:29 -0400
I quit "officially" counting at birds this morning, but I occasionally would
scope the lake.  The ducks continued moving until about 3:30 when they
nearly stopped altogether.  It seemed like I would watch a few minutes and a
flock of scaup would pass by.  Most of these flocks were 50-100 birds.  I am
guessing another 2,000 scup went by this afternoon.  Most interesting was a
flock of 7 brant that passed by around 2:15.  They were heading west.

I also saw more scoters.  I counted 84 white-winged, 14 black, and 3 surf
scoters.  This morning when I saw the large flocks of scoters, all were dark
winged, surf and mostly black.  Initially there were no white-winged
scoters.  As the morning progressed, so did the number of white-winged
scoters.  Towards the end this morning and this afternoon white-winged
scoters dominated.

I was thinking that the storm coming this next week would possibly bring
some scoter and brant numbers Monday-Tuesday when the winds from the
hurricane combine with the low and bring extremely windy conditions and then
Wednesday on we might have a chance at some hurricane birds. Weather
permitting watch Lake Erie and large inland bodies of water for migrants the
next several days.   This may be a very interesting week bird-wise.  It has
been many decades since Ohio has experienced a wreck of alcids

John Pogacnik

4765 Lockwood Road

Perry, OH 44081