OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2012 17:52:25 -0400
The Audubon trip to these southeastern Columbus MetroParks was treated to some rain and wind, but also a good landbird migration day.  We started at Heron Pond, then visited the Confluence Area (both at 3-Creeks), then made stops at Cruiser Pond and Walnut Woods in Groveport.  Afterwards a few of us ventured over to Pickerington Ponds.  Water levels were still low in most areas, but Ellis Pond at Pick Ponds had a fair waterfowl fallout.  Notables included

Waterfowl - Shovelers, Teal, BlackDucks, Lesser Scaup, and 20 Ruddy Ducks were all at Ellis
Other waterbirds - Pied-billed Grebes were widespread, with pairs at Heron Pond and Turtle Pond and a whopping 22 at Ellis Pond.  A flock of 30 cormorants was an early flyover at Heron Pond.

Shorebirds - no snipe at any stop, but Kildeer were at several stops

Raptors - unexpected movement over Walnut Woods between 12:30 - 1:30, when we had several kettles of Turkey Vultures (40 birds total), along with a Red-shouldered and a Sharp-shinned Hawk.  2 adult Bald Eagles were at Cruiser Pond.

Red-br.Nuthatches - 1 was visiting the feeder at the Confluence area, while at least 6 were in the spruces at Walnut Woods
Brown Creepers - 2 were at the Confluence area
Kinglets - Walnut Woods had 5-6 Golden-crowned and 1 Ruby-crowned

Thrushes - flocks of Robins everywhere, but especially large groups at Heron Pond and the Confluence areas (which are migrant bottlenecks).  A single Hermit Thrush was calling at Walnut Woods

Cedar Waxwings - big movement, with 100+ at both Heron Pond and the Confluence area, and flocks of 20-30 elsewhere

Warblers - nothing but Yellow-rumps, but they were seen at all stops

Sparrows - good movement of Zonotrichia, with small groups of White-throated and White-crowned at nearly every stop.  Also had 20 Chipping Sparrows at the Confluence area, 2-3 Savannah Sparrows at Walnut Woods, Swamp Sparrows at Confluence and Walnut Woods, and a single Fox Sparrow at Pick Ponds

Blackbirds - big noisy flocks of Redwings at Heron Pond and Confluence area, plus a big flyover flock of 60 Cowbirds at Walnut Woods

Finches - 2-3 Pine Siskins mixed in with the Goldfinches at the Confluence feeders.  We couldn't find any Purple Finches.