OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2012 19:14:54 -0400
As of 5:30PM tonight, Saturday, the Western Grebe was still being observed by my wife Denise, myself, Glen Crippen, and Marian and Jeff Kraus. Hopefully the Western Grebe will still be there in the morning. The last sighting location is somewhat the area described by Doreene.  My two suggested viewing locations are on the extreme south end of the lake, just north of the causeway dam (SR305). From the west side turn into the state park bearing left at the first intersection, go past the park office on the left to the next drive to the right. Go to the single parking spot on the right and start scanning, looking toward the dam and the east shore. For east side viewing go back across the causeway bearing left and go to the second parking area on the left, pull into the boat ramp and try scanning again. From 4:30PM to 5:30PM the celebrity visitor was constantly moving around between looking straight across the lake and toward the dam. Keep looking, the bird is always diving, thus being out of sight what seems like half of the time. The original sighting location at the cemetery is to the north of here. To reiterate Doreene's thank you, a thank you from all of us goes out to Larry Richardson for his wonderful find, and to Larry Rosche for today's afternoon refind. Bob Lane / Mahoning County