OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2012 21:12:35 -0400
Randy and all - the astounding reports that you see from Cleveland, Mentor and Lakeshore from today echo what would have passed Rocky River, Avon and Lorain. THOUSANDS of waterfowl inc thousands of scoters, hundres of pintail, thousands of gadwall, dozens of shovelers, mergansers, thousands of wigeon, smaller numbers of Long-tailed Duck and Harlequin Ducks, thousands of Bonaparte's Gulls (13,000 off of Cleveland alone) dozens of loons, grebes, Pomarine Jaeger, and jaeger species, Little Gull and tens of thousands of herring and ring billed gulls, etc etc etc etc etc ALL moved along the lakefront today heading east in strong NNE winds at 25 to 40 mph.

The forecast for tomorrow is similar with wind direction and strength. Get ANYWHERE on the lake. High bluffs are best. Harbors will block your view of the lake (but you should still get great number and diversity of birds). Get to a high bluff where you can scan with your bins and scope. Anywhere on the lake east of Huron.

JB

Jen Brumfield
Cleveland, OH
Bird illustrator and birding tour guide