OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2012 22:28:27 -0400
I took a trip up to O'Shaughnessy this afternoon and while I didn't find
any swans I did find a decent mix of gulls including about 50 Bonaparte's
Gulls. Sadly, my high count for Little Gulls in central Ohio is still set
at zero.

Herring, Bonaparte's and of course Ring-billed Gulls were all posing for my
lack of a camera at the marina ("area M"), including excellent looks at a
number of immature Bonies hovering as they fought the north winds.

Gull watchers in Central Ohio should definitely make it a point to visit
O'Shaughnessy during fall!  Aside from a decent mix of waterfowl, it also
seems to hold pretty high numbers of Bonaparte's (hundreds sometimes) and
has a VERY accessible eastern shoreline.  While odds are better that a
Little Gull (or Black Headed?) would end up on Hoover, Alum Creek or maybe
Delaware reservoirs, it would definitely be easier to find on
O'Shaughnessy.

To brush up on your Little Gull ID, I've scraped together a handful of
photos here:

http://mostlybirds.wordpress.com/2012/10/28/central-ohio-due-for-a-little-gull/

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado
Columbus, OH

--
Paul J. Hurtado
Postdoctoral Fellow, The Ohio State University

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Webpage: http://people.mbi.ohio-state.edu/hurtado.10