OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:48:37 -0400
It was another amazing day with great waterfowl variety and some great
birds.  Best of all were 3 common eiders (1 male, 2 females).  I saw them
coming almost immediately and their flight style caught my eye immediately.
From a distance I thought small geese.  When I got the scope the male told
me immediately what they were.  I was able to watch them in the scope as
they passed.  I was able to get some nice looks at the females head shape.
They passed by a little before 11:00.  At that time all birds were heading
east.  I had also spotted a pomarine jaeger and a few scoters.

At around 11:15 the wind picked up.  It did not seem to change direction at
all, but after that I started getting birds heading west.  I ended up
getting 134 brant and a red-throated loon.  All of the cormorants were also
heading west.  After the wind change I also got all of my Bonaparte's gulls.
They were heading east.  After the wind increase there were no more duck
flocks, only 2s and 3s.  I counted until 12:00, but occasionally checked the
lake.  I saw very little this afternoon.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey

Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake County

October 29, 2012, 0745-1200

Weather- cloudy with rain, Wind- N 25-35 to N 30-40

Temperature 43-44 F, Barometer- 29.90-29.87

Humidity-  93, dew point- 41

Waves- 8-10 increasing to 10-12 feet, Direction- east then west

BRANT   134

Tundra swan   91

Mallard  6

Northern shoveler   1

Northern pintail   5

Green-winged teal   1

Canvasback   14

Greater scaup   8

Lesser scaup   236

Scaup spp.   160

COMMON EIDER   1 male, 2 females

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER  3

BLACK SCOTER   5

Bufflehead   56

Red-breasted merganser   564

RED-THROATED LOON   1

Common loon   18

Horned grebe  1

Double-crested cormorant   51

POMARINE JAEGER   1

Bonaparte's gull   215

Ring-billed gull   418

Herring gull   182

LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL   4 (2 2nd cycle, 2 adults)

John Pogacnik

4765 Lockwood Road

Perry, OH 44081