OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2012 17:55:53 -0400
Hello,

We've been watching waterfowl on local lakes and reservoirs daily with
these north winds.  Yesterday Chippewa Lake (Medina County) had five loons
as well as ~20 swans.  Ducks were too far away to ID in the high wind and
rain.  Today there ~200 Ruddy Ducks, 12 Bufflehead, 5 Horned Grebes, 1
Pied-billed Grebe, 1 Hooded Merganser, 25+Ring-necked Ducks and similar
numbers of scaup species.

Wellington Reservoir had terrible conditions both days, making it difficult
to ID ducks in the lee of the dikes across.  The Long-tailed Duck was not
re-found either day.  There were 4 swans yesteday; none, today.  There are
at least a couple thousand waterfowl, though--Ruddy Ducks and Coots are
most numerous, Ring-necked Ducks, scaup sp., Bufflehead, Pied-billed
Grebes, Gadwall, Wigeon, and Mallard have been seen.

We found swans on a small lake behind the Lodi Outlet Mall (I-71 and OH-83,
viewed from White Road), too.

Funk Wildlife Area had almost no waterfowl, though we did see 40 Sandhill
Cranes. There was still a variety of sparrows--White-throated,
White-crowned, Song, and 3 or 4 American Tree Sparrows, our first of the
fall.

Helen and Ken Ostermiller
Medina, Lorain and Wayne County sightings