OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Laura Gooch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 05:00:37 -0700

From: Laura Gooch <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fw: eBird Report - Shaker Lakes Park System, Oct 30, 2012
To: "Laura Gooch" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 7:57 AM

I took a rainy walk around the Shaker Lakes yesterday afternoon. There was a handful of new species of ducks on the lower lake, and an unusual amount of overall activity for the place and time of day.  There were Golden-crowned Kinglets and Cedar Waxwings everywhere, and a sparrow/junco fest in the restored Nature Center marsh. A Field Sparrow in the marsh was a pleasant surprise, although I've been picking them up on my migration monitoring recordings (before the rain started, mostly). The Orange-crowned Warbler was nice, too. Ebird report follows.

Laura Gooch
Cleveland Heights

                            [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>;

                            eBird Report - Shaker Lakes Park System, Oct 30, 2012

                            Wed, Oct 31, 2012 11:43:28 AM

                                        Shaker Lakes Park System, Cuyahoga, US-OH
Oct 30, 2012 3:15 PM - 6:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.2 kilometer(s)
Comments:     Scarborough Road near Stillman counterclockwise around Lower Shaker Lake. To Horseshoe Lake via North Park and about 0.2 km alond north arm. Back across dam and to Nature Center ar Shaker Lakes via South Park. Return via North Park. Moderate rain, some NW wind (&lt; 15), about 50 F. Unusually active.
31 species

Canada Goose  33
Wood Duck  31
American Black Duck  1
Mallard  70
Bufflehead  2
Hooded Merganser  1
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Double-crested Cormorant  7     Flock on Lower Shaker Lake
Great Blue Heron  1
Mourning Dove  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay
 7
Tufted Titmouse  5
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Brown Creeper  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  35     Probably more. They seemed to be everywhere.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2     One banded
American Robin  75
European Starling  7
Cedar Waxwing  130