OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:00:20 -0400
This morning I traveled to Marysville Reservoir in search of the earlier
reported Red-necked Grebes. I found them immediately upon arrival, they were
fairly close to the dike when I first reached the top of the dike. I
observed them along with a number of other waterfowl in that area, then
proceeded to walk west along the north side of the reservoir, to see if any
other notable birds could be found. I was surprised to find two Snow
Buntings in the rocks between the trail and the water.

A complete list of the birds seen is below.

Marysville Reservoir--Raymond Rd., Union, US-OH
Oct 31, 2012 11:42 AM - 12:29 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Cloudy, breezy, 30s to 40s
12 species

Canada Goose  12
Mallard  2
Hooded Merganser  1
Ruddy Duck  41     Six were in northeast part of reservoir near boat ramp.
At tight flock of 35 birds was in the western part of the reservoir.
Pied-billed Grebe  10
Horned Grebe  4
Red-necked Grebe  2     Two first year birds were seen near the boat ramp. A
couple of poor but diagnostic photos available upon request.
American Coot  4
Mourning Dove  23
Blue Jay  1
Snow Bunting  2     Two birds on rocks along north side of reservoir. They
were either first year females or adult males. They flew away before photos
could be taken.
Northern Cardinal  1

View this checklist online at

A map to find Marysville Reservoir is at

https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.2645542,-83.4002359&ll=40.264
5542,-83.4002359