OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 13:08:20 -0400
Great morning with several first-of-fall species this morning.  A few warblers, but sparrows and kinglets ruled the day.

Seen were:

Canada goose
mallard
blue-winged teal
northern shoveler
pied-billed grebe
great blue heron
turkey vulture
Cooper’s hawk
American coot
killdeer
Wilson’s snipe
ring-billed gull
mourning dove
chimney swift
belted kingfisher
red-bellied woodpecker
downy woodpecker
northern flicker
eastern phoebe
Philadelphia vireo
blue jay
American crow
northern rough-winged swallow
tree swallow
bank swallow
barn swallow
(several swallow sp., too high for me to ID)
Carolina chickadee
tufted titmouse
white-breasted nuthatch
Carolina wren
golden-crowned kinglet
ruby-crowned kinglet
American robin
gray catbird
European starling
cedar waxwing
Tennessee warbler
Nashville warbler
common yellowthroat
magnolia warbler
yellow-rumped warbler
eastern towhee
chipping sparrow
song sparrow
Lincoln’s sparrow
swamp sparrow
white-throated sparrow
northern cardinal
red-winged blackbird
American goldfinch
house sparrow

It was cool and breezy early, but after the sun began to warm things up, the birds were hopping.  Then, it clouded over and was time to come home.  I could have stayed out all day!

Margaret
Licking Co., OH