OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:29:03 -0400
Yesterday I got a few decent birds at Silver Creek MP.

Highlights:
Many, many golden crowned kinglets
Numerous red breasted nuthatches in the pine wood between Pheasant Run
trail and the equestrian trail. In fact, red breasted nuthatches I saw this
day outnumbered white breasted 2-1! How often does that happen? One flew
down right in front of me to cache a seed in the tree bark then spooked
when he saw me. If they are caching seeds does that mean they will stick
around all winter?
One Lincoln's sparrow
Only a few warblers, mostly yellow rumped with one I thought was a bay
breasted (fall warblers never seem to match any of the pictures in the
book!)
downy, hairy, red bellied and flicker woodpeckers - was expecting a
sapsucker because this is an excellent site for them, but didn't see any.
Was unsuccessful with purple finch as well.
Strafed by a cooper's while watching a mixed flock - zoomed right past my
head!
I didn't make it over to the lake or marshy areas as my time was limited.

Karen Gray