OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Scott Norviel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Norviel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 00:01:57 -0400
This is our first post to the Ohio Birds List Serve.  My wife, Holly & I,
went to Old Field Beach around 6 PM this evening and saw two 1st winter
Franklin Gulls mixed with a large group of Ring-billed Gulls & what we
believe we've identified as a single juvenile Black Bellied Plover.  We
took photos and have uploaded them to the following Flickr link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87869130@N04/.  We live in the Indian Lake
area & have been members of the Ohio Birds List Serve Group since March of
2012.  This is our 1st year birding and we've seen so many awesome birds
thanks to the postings from other members!  Now that we've got a little bit
of knowledge and experience under our belts we thought it time to send out
our 1st post!  We welcome feedback if you think we've misidentified these
birds.  We've mainly focused on songbirds even though we're close to an
inland lake with the possibility of migrant shorebirds.  We'd like to send
out a special thanks to Ed & Bev Neubauer for helping us locate and see our
1st Pileated Woodpeckers (Male & Female) in Englewood Metro Park and Bob &
Elaine McNulty for introducing us to all the wonderful birds inside Blendon
Woods Metro Park; especially our 1st warblers (Hooded, Blue-winged,
Nashville & Orange-crowned)!  We've had an awesome "1st year" as official
birders and have seen and met some wonderful, infamous birders (Kenn
Kaufman, Greg Miller & Richard Crossley)!  We also attended the Biggest
Bird Week at Magee Marsh!  Wow, what an awesome experience!!!  Thanks to
everyone on the Ohio List Serve for their posts & help in introducing Holly
& I to the wonderful world of birding!!!