OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2012 13:27:11 -0400
One of the rufous phase eastern screech owls has returned to roost in the
steel girders supporting the pedestrian bridge on the Alum Creek biketrail
in Westerville.  It could be that the other one was there and I just
overlooked it.  The cavity farther up the trail near Otterbein Lake was
still empty when I passed it at half past noon today.  Also at Otterbein
Lake were two pied-billed grebes, a belted kingfisher, a great blue
herons, and six turtles (common map I think) sunning on a log.  An
American kestrel was perched on a nearby wire.

Down Cleveland Ave. at Sharon Woods there were many white-crowned and
white-throated sparrows as well as song sparrows and field sparrows.  4
hermit thrushes and 2 Swainson's thrushes also put in an appearance.  I
had my first-of-season brown creeper and heard a red-breasted nuthatch.
The most abundant birds were yellow-rumed warblers and, of course,
American robins.

Al La Sala
Columbus, OH