OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2012 23:17:08 -0400
I spent the chilly morning searching around the shoreline of north Hoover Reservoir for migrants, both waterbirds & landbirds.  The exceedingly low water allowed me to hike around the shoreline at Oxbow Island, the Sunbury causeway, and between Plumb Rd and Wiese Rd accesses.  Lots of migrants early, though my warbler tally was considerably poorer than the Tans' at Blendon Woods.  Notables included:

Waterfowl - not much other than geese,  10 Green-winged teal and 4 Wigeon were along the edge of the mudflats off Plumb Rd
Other waterbirds - only about 70 cormorants for the morning, and most were at Sunbury causeway.  2 Pied-bills were at Oxbow Island
Herons - 24 Great Blue Herons between all 3 sites, while 3 Great Egrets remained at Oxbow
Raptors - hardly any except a smattering of Turkey Vultures
Shorebirds - nothing other than Kildeer
Woodpeckers - Pileateds at both Oxbow and Sunbury causeway were unusual

Flycatcher,Swallows - 1 Phoebe was calling at Plumb Rd access, while a flock of 40 Tree Swallows was foraging over the water south of the Sunbury causeway, along w/ 1 Barn Swallow

Vireos - none
Larks,Pipits - Horned Larks were on the mudflats off Wiese Rd, while Pipits were at both Oxbow Island & Sunbury causeway.

Kinglets - surprisingly few, with single Ruby-crowns at Oxbow & Sunbury causeway, and 2 Golden-crowns along the Wiese Rd bikepath

Thrushes - small flocks of Robins everywhere.  I also had small flocks of e.Bluebirds at each location, never more than 5 birds.

Cedar Waxwings - small groups of 5-10 at every stop.

Warblers - Yellow-rumps everywhere, with 20+ at each spot.  Also had Tennessee & Com.Yellowthroat at Oxbow and Cape May at Sunbury

Bunting - 1 Indigo was calling at the Sunbury causeway

Sparrows - small flocks of Chipping at every stop, along with the expected Song Sparrows and White-throateds.  3 White-crowns were at Mudhen Marsh.

Blackbirds - small flocks of Rewings at Oxbow and Sunbury causeway.  The causeway also had an early flock of 250+ Grackles.

Finches - nothing other than House Finches and Goldfinches