OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2012 03:04:19 -0400
Saturday 10/13 Ken and Jenny Parsons and  took our kayaks down the lower
Mohican River to were it joins the Kokosing River to form the beginning of
the Walhonding River. As we drove to drop off our pick up car we observed
3 juvenile bald eagles circeling over the Walhonding River above the
Mohican dam.
1 coopers hawk &
2 sharpshin hawks hunting fields. All in Coshocton County.

Earlier this year we have observed many eagles along the lower Mohican
river because of very light use. But now that the boating season is over
and there is no longer heavy trafic on the Walhonding and Kokosing Rivers
the eagles have spread out from the Mohican to these rivers.

We only saw 3 eagles 1 adult and 2 juvenile on the way down the Mohican.
All were soaring fairly high.

We did get some very good looks at several juvenile red tail hawks. One in
particular circled above us for several minutes with the sun back lighting
his feathers.

We only saw 1 great blue heron. We usualy see so many that we do not count
them.

There were belted king fishers every where with one bird teasing us by
waiting until we got very close then flying down stream to pearch in a
tree. He did this for about two miles.

The small birds were every where but I am not very good at identifying
them by sight or sound. I do not take a field book along because it is not
a good idea to be reading a book on a fast moving river. On top of that my
water proof bino's were dropped and I get double vision now.

We hope to get in a couple more trips down the river before we have to
switch to using our cars for raptor watching.