OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2012 15:38:33 -0700
The Crane Creek Estuary was loaded with THOUSANDS of shorebird
Hi all,

The Crane Creek Estuary was loaded with THOUSANDS of shorebirds, gulls and waterfowl today. The fierce southerly winds had severely lowered the estuary creating extensive mudflats. Yes, Lake Erie has tides, wind tides! In total, I had 14 species of shorebirds with the majority being Dunlin (thousands). Highlights include an AMERICAN AVOCET (hanging out with the ducks), BAIRD’S SANDPIPER, numerous Stilt Sandpipers, 50 Long-billed Dowitchers and excellent numbers of American and Black-bellied Plovers. Other highlights include a single FRANKLIN’S GULL, 5 SANDHILL CRANES, and a PEREGRINE FALCON creating chaos. A scope is necessary.

For those planning on birding the estuary - if you pick out a Willet, let me know! It's the last remaining regularly occurring shorebird I still need for my local patch big year (aside from Red Phalarope & Purple Sandpiper). I'm currently sitting at 250 species for the Magee/Ottawa region!

Ethan Kistler
Oak Harbor, Ohio