OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2012 01:15:01 -0400
I would like to add a few points regarding Facebook vs. Listserv, etc.

Facebook requires you to give up personal information, be tracked by spy
cookies, and assaults you with advertising every step of the way. Is this
really progress?

The last 3 hours of facebook posts takes 4 screens of scrolling to read.
Does anybody *really* have time to read all this to glean information about
bird sightings? Sometimes I only get around to checking every few days. It
would take me hours to catch up.

I don't believe there is any way to sort or filter posts by keyword
automatically - like you can with incoming listserv email - or identify
posts by title so you can read just the ones you are interested in. I don't
believe it is searchable either. (archive)

Sure, Facebook lets you post pictures (but good luck finding one mentioned
on the listserv several days after the fact -- you need to dig seventeen
screens deep).

Facebook is more a chatty, sharing sort of place, not a good tool for
reporting bird sightings or lists. And contrary to their mission statement,
I most certainly have seen bullying and snarkiness on there, too.

And the main problem with facebook is I already spend too much time
elsewhere on facebook!  :-)

Twitter might be ok for quickly conveying a few short blurbs of information
- isn't there a character limit? No lists, no details, no directions.

This listserv, unfortunately, is getting less and less useful to me as many
people in my area no longer post here. Have you noticed how few messages
there are every day? Even in spring we came nowhere near our 50 per day
limit.

So, yes... *sigh* ...things change, and I guess it may be time to figure
something else out. I agree it is sad. I have enjoyed the few short years I
had on this listserv and learned a lot.

Karen Gray