OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2012 08:11:43 -0400
Hello Everyone,

Just a few quick comments about Listserv versus Facbook.

I hope we won't view it that way: as this versus that.  Both are very
useful communication tools and both have their pros and cons.

In regard to the birding groups on Facebook - I don't they should be viewed
as the Listserv killer.   I know (and understand!) the reluctance on many
to join Facebook with all of its invasive and time sucking qualities.  I
sort of have a love/hate thing with it; however, it's one redeeming quality
is that it is an excellent tool for teaching and learning.  It allows us to
share information in more of a conversational style that can be very
helpful for beginners.

Some tips for using Facebook birding groups to find rare bird sightings.
1) Facebook groups have a [Search] tool.  On Birding Ohio, we have
established three ways for people to find rare bird posts.  a. We encourage
people to add the words "Rare Bird Alert" to the beginning of their posts
so that users can search for those keywords to find those posts.  b) We
also set up a Rare Birds folder on the group page so people can check that,
too.  3) People who posted the sighting (as well as other users) can simply
"bump" the posts about rare birds to the top of the page to keep it in
front of everyone. (Comments on Facebook groups get pushed down the page as
new things are posted.)

Sherrie Durris also set up an Ohio Rare Bird Alert Facebook group that
states clearly that it will not allow discussion outside of rare bird
sightings to avoid having information buried in other posts.

I use Facebook and the Ohio Birds Listserv every day. I am very thankful to
OOS for making the Listserv possible, as it was one of the first
opportunities I had to interact with other birders in Ohio.  It continues
to be a wonderful resource for birding information and I don't see that
changing anytime soon.  At BSBO, we've been dissed by a few folks for not
making electronic delivery of our publications the default method.    But,
we have a lot of Amish members and we should never lose sight of the fact
that - <gasp> not everyone is on the computer every day, and a few still
don't have a computer at all.  My point is that we should make it as easy
as possible and always cast information as far and as wide as we can so
that we don't lose anyone.  Kenn suggested that it would be a simple thing
for a few of us to agree to cross-post rare bird sightings posted on
Facebook to the Listserv, and I think that's a great idea.  Let's use every
tool we've got to keep people engaged and feeling happy about birds and
birding.

Don't worry!  Be Happy! Go Birding!

Kim Kaufman