OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Kathi Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathi Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:24:00 -0400
Forwarding for Jeff Rowe:

"I work in Piketon, Ohio and yesterday I observed a Golden Eagle soaring over a soy bean field on Shyville Road, south of Rt 32.  There is a deer carcase that has attacted a lot of vultures.  The eagle landed in the field and I definitely saw the white under wing and tail markings as well as the golden markings on the upper wing.  I reported it to a fellow birder who also works here and he said the eagle was on the ground near the deer carcase, close to the road.  He also observed golden highlights on the head and wings and noted the extreme size of the bird.  The field is on the right side of Shyville Road right at the gate to the Department of Energy Portsmouth Plant."

Kathi Hutton, fide Jeff Rowe
Sent from iVan, my iPhone