OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2012 14:08:09 -0500
I made a dash up to Tuscarawas County for the Lark Bunting this morning,
and was not disappointed! As previously described, I found the bird hanging
out with a small flock of White-crowned Sparrows and a couple of Song
Sparrows. I first had it at the top of the hill, and got great looks at it
perched on top of some stacked tires. After about 10-15 minutes, the
sparrow flock moved down the hill to the covered hay bales. The Lark
Bunting is Ohio bird # 324 for me, and is ABA bird 498.

One thing to note for folks going up to see the bird: The location is just
north of Sugar Creek. When you exit Sugar Creek on 93 going north, the road
you want to turn on is Golf Course Road, which is missing its street sign.
I missed it initially due to this. Golf Course Road is the second right
north of Sugar Creek on 93 for those who haven't gone up yet and aren't
familiar with the Sugar Creek area.

After getting the bunting, I stopped by Blendon Woods on the way back to
try for the Common Redpoll, but it didn't show up while I was there. I then
headed up to Hoover Reservoir and had the Red-throated Loon. I saw it from
the first parking turn-off north of the dam parking lot. The loon was along
the western shore, north of the dam parking lot area and south of the
parking lot I was at. You need to walk down to the shore to see this
location.

Good birding!
Andy Sewell
Columbus, Ohio