OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2012 08:53:45 -0500
        Many of us already know that 107 years of The Cleveland Bird Calendar,
Ohio's most venerable ornithological journal, have been scanned in
searchable form on the internet, and are available at
http://www.clevelandbirdcalendar.com/  .  There is a wealth of regional
information there, and we owe the Kirtland Bird Club our thanks for
having led the way by making it available--a lot of hard work.
        So I was happy to learn that the Ohio Ornithological Society has
embarked on a project to scan older back issues of the Ohio Cardinal,
The Bobolink, and Ohio Birds and Natural History. The Toledo
Naturalists' Association has also agreed to make back issues of its
ornithological publications available, with these details yet to be
worked out. This will give everyone free access to back issues (probably
not the very recent ones of course) of these journals, containing a
wealth of modern records and articles about Ohio's birds, going back
30-plus years.
        I've also learned that Ed Pierce, for decades the honored publisher of
the Ohio Cardinal, is offering back issues of that journal going back to
its inception in 1978: see the announcement on the OOS site at
http://www.ohiobirds.org/site/publications/cardinal/pastissues.php  .
For folks who want hard copies of the originals, this is a great deal,
but in any event plans are afoot to make all this material available to
everyone interested one way or another.  All birders, even
feeder-watchers and listers, should have this information, and it is a
pleasure to see it becoming available to all via the OOS, which thus
keeps its promise to be a major source of information for Ohio's birders.
Bill Whan
Columbus