OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2012 10:42:16 -0500
Yesterday I stopped briefly and immediately found 4 very vocal brown creepers in a small pine/spruce stand. Also 2 very active red-breasted nuthatches caching pine seeds in the bark of another tree, making direct flights back and forth. Two pine siskins in one of these trees, feeding on pine trees. I did not note the types of pines and spruces, but all pines, spruces and hemlocks had excellent cone crop, the latter of which spanned the top to bottom of the trees. These could potentially attract crossbills here. I also found a line of box elders loaded with seeds, a potential for attracting evening grosbeaks. I did see a yellow-bellied sapsucker in these trees and part of a flock of 24 cedar waxwings ( yes, I did check them for Bohemian). I found two more brown creepers in another pine stand for a total of 6 creepers within the one hour that I was there.

David A. Brinkman
1631 Kellywood Ave.
Cincinnati, OH 45238

Middle Childhood Education, Xavier University

Sent from my iPhone