OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
Steven Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2012 04:02:10 +0000
In addition to the Harrier that I reported earlier, I took the day and went around Killdeer Plains, Oakhill Cemetery, and Sandusky Reservoir.

Killdeer Plains had:

100 Trumpeter Swans It was a mass of white...the best I could count was 100, but more were flying in as I left.
N. Shovelers
Mallards
Can Geese
4 Eagles
Both Male and Female Harriers
N. Shrike
Kestrels
RTH
GBH
2 Rusty BB
Pheasants
Pheasant Hunters
Okay, before I go on, If anyone is over at Killdeer Plains, and they see a black Jeep with a fiberglass dog kennel, give the three KIDS that are in there a WIDE BERTH...I was behind them on CR71 when all of a sudden they stop, jump out and grab their gear.  Two male pheasant were there earlier so I knew that they were after them...anyways, they get out, and start running up the side of the road to get into position, then of course the Pheasants are flushed and the first was dispatched rather easily. the second flew back across the road and was over the refuge when the KID under 21ish shot ACROSS THE ROAD and into the refuge, then the kid ran into the refuge..I didn't see him make his gun safe either, to retrieve the bird.  I don't have the plate number, so I can't really report it past here, but be on guard, they have no respect for safety or rules for that matter.
Then fearing my safety, I went to Oak Hill Cemetery to check for Crossbills...to no avail.
I did get a WB Nuthatch, and a pair of Cardinals. and some Goldfinches.

Finishing up the birding I went up to Upper Sandusky to check out reservoir 2. I found about 18-20 Redheads, and about 20 muddy, Ruddy Ducks.

When I got home, there were House Sparrows, House Finches, RBNH, Goldfinches, and a couple of Siskins to great me.