OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2012 12:44:04 -0500
While working in my Olmsted Twp. yard on this beautiful, balmy, and breezy day, I took note of many flocks consisting of 20 to 50 or so finch-like birds. All were heading in a southwesterly direction. A bit larger than goldfinches and their ilk, with a less bouncy flight, but undeniably finches. Were these all really crossbills!? Holy cow. They were pretty chatty, but hard to understand. Thought I heard one say, presumably the leader, "no hemlocks down there, keep going". Would be cool to know how many are on the move!

Craig Rieker

Olmsted Twp Ohio