OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
John Kuenzli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Kuenzli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2012 18:13:35 -0500
For the past 3 years, I have (along with 2 other teachers) taken a group of
about 12 high school students on an overnight trip to band Northern
Saw-whet Owls.  We spend the night at a cabin at Camp Wyandot, a
nature-themed summer camp on property adjacent to Clear Creek Metropark.

Last year, during this same weekend, we captured and banded 4 Saw-whets.
By all accounts, last year was a very low-movement year for Saw-whets
nationally.  This year, banding stations nationwide have seen much greater
numbers, and we saw the same.  (Including banding records as far south as
Alabama.)  Last night, from 6:30 PM until about midnight, we caught and
banded 12 NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWLS!!!

It was an amazing night for all involved.  I thought I should post this to
remind people that there a LOT of Saw-whets moving right now (migration is
just about peaking currently) and to keep an eye out for them roosting.
They're hard to find during the day, but they're definitely here!

Good birding,

--
John Kuenzli
Columbus, OH