OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2012 19:33:59 -0500
The lake was interesting today there were a lot of Bonaparte's gulls moving
east and a lot sticking around to feed.  Of interest were 3 laughing gulls
and 1 little gull.  Throughout the day there were feeding flocks of gulls
fairly close to shore.  Evidently there are a lot of fish close.  I did not
see any unusual gulls in the afternoon.  Waterfowl were almost nonexistent.
Only two flocks were seen all morning and they only consisted of 3 and 4
birds.  Of note were 3 white-winged scoters.

Winter finches were on the move also today.  Today's count was 14
white-winged crossbills, 180 common redpolls, 12 pine siskins, and 1 evening
grosbeak.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey

Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake County

November 11, 2012, 0700-1000

Weather- partly cloudy, Wind- SW 10-15

Temperature 54-57 F, Barometer- 30.23-30.24

Humidity-  63-61, dew point- 42-47

Waves- 2-3 feet, Direction- east

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER   3

Red-breasted merganser   4

Common loon   3

Horned grebe   12

LAUGHING GULL   3 (2- 1st cycle, 1 adult)

LITTLE GULL   1 ad

Bonaparte's gull   2690

Ring-billed gull  211

Herring gull   46