OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
Greg Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2012 21:14:46 -0500
Initially Robert Hershberger & I only saw red crossbills in the deciduous trees behind the feeders. Then they moved further away into the pines. We crossed the new covered bridge and I played Sibley's red crossbill flight calls. The birds came in right above us. Only this time there were more birds and the flock was mixed (6 red & 9 white-winged together). They flew west across the creek toward the parking area. We found little chips or seeds or debris floating down out of one of the pines. We followed it to the treetop and found the crossbills again. The birds moved west again and we did not find them again after that.

Kidron Park is in Kidron OH on the east side of Kidron Rd just north of the intersection of Kidron Rd & Emerson Rd. Pull into the drive of the school and drive to the end if the road--ends at a fairly large building used for events. Park here. There are paths on either side of the building. Take the one on the left (north) side as you face the building. Walk through the pines. The feeders will be off the path to the right. The little, newly-constructed covered bridge is straight ahead. The crossbills were most often between the feeders and the covered bridge today. There is plenty of habitat and they could be found anywhere in the park.

Greg Miller

http://www.gregmillerbirding.com
http://facebook.com/gregmillerbirding
http://twitter.com/GregMillerBrdng