OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2012 22:13:54 -0500
Birders, some interesting stuff out there and it does appear like more is
coming.   The best thing I think everyone can do, is familiarize yourself
with the variety of calls as unfortunately this is how most owls and winter
finches are first detected and if they do stop it is often all too briefly.

We checked out several places in SW Franklin, driving roads and walking
some margins were there was activity.  Went owling at 3 am along Darby
Creek Rd; later spent five hours (11 AM - 4 PM) checking Bolden airfield
(Norton Rd. and Johnson Rd.); finally, although closed, we checked the
SWACO landfill (gulls, 2100--1700 Ring-billed, 400 Herring).

Waterfowl:  Canada Goose -- 200 in a pond on Norton Rd.; American Black
Duck in another pond on Johnson Rd.
Vultures: TV's were in small numbers, ones and twos, only 10 seen; BLACK
VULTURE (ph.) three overhead off and on at the landfill.
Raptors: Sharpy, Red-shouldered Hawk (1 ad. Norton Rd.), Red-tailed Hawk
(19, ad. + 3 imm. incl. 6 along Johnson Rd. and 6 at the landfill);
PEREGRINE FALCON (1 juv. at the landfill); Northern Saw-whet Owl (1 called
cat like 'bark' from residential pine stand along DC Rd.)
Starlings: 7000 alone at the landfill
Sparrows:  American Tree (11), Fox, Song, White-throated, along Johnson Rd.
WINTER FINCHES: Purple Finch (11, flyovers along Johnson Rd.), House Finch
(numerous), RED CROSSBILL (2 calling flyovers, Johnson Rd.; less sharp,
more musical and squeaky in note; 1 f. type flyover, stopping briefly in
pine); WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL (2 calls, flyby, Norrton Rd.; 1 m. in
residential area with tall hemlocks along Johnson Rd.); pine Siskin, 2;
EVENING GROSBEAK, 2 (flybys at landfill); Am. Goldfinch, 1.......

I kept thinking such good margins/edges for Northern Shrikes.....

david tan
columbus