OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2012 03:30:59 -0800
I set out from my home in SW Ohio at 7am Sunday with the goal of two Life Birds.  I arrived at the Lark Bunting location on Penrod Rd, just north of Sugarcreek, about 12:30pm.  Another birder from the Akron area was on scene.  After much searching, I got one brief glimpse of the LARK BUNTING when it flew into a tree on the east side of the road, along with an immature White-crowned Sparrow.  I could make out the eye ring and the streaking on the breast, but it was a brief look and not very satisfying.  Sue Evanoff then arrived and helped me find prime viewing area for this bird.  I didn't understand the original directions, so here are my tips:

Penrod Rd is a short road connecting Golf Course Rd and Barrs Mill Rd.  It is paved on either end, but graveled in the middle.  Along this gravel section, there is a pond on the east side.  Stop by the pond - it is not a busy road, and it is easy to find a wide place to stop.  Across from the pond is a green stool with a metal clipboard on top for signing your name, and a cow pasture (no cows).  We have permission to enter this field to see the bird.  Go under the electric fence (the wire is not "hot") and up the hill.  About halfway up is a second set of wires that the farmer has lowered for us to cross.  At the third set of wires, you will see a large concrete pad and on the other side, some piles of pallets and various farm implements.  Stop here and scan the bushes and small trees opposite.  You will want your scope, although bin views are adequate.  The Lark Bunting is hanging around with a mixed flock of sparrows - Song, White-crowned,
 and Field, as well as House Sparrows.  We were able to get good looks, and Sue even heard him sing when I went back for my scope.  Be patient; he seems to have a circuit that he travels, but he always returns to the clump of bushes on the right side.

We left about 1:30pm and headed to Mrs. Yoder's Kitchen in Mt Hope (GPS won't accept "Mt Hope" - use Millersburg) for celebratory pie.  The entire population of three counties was there and we didn't have time to wait, so we bought our pie "to go."  We didn't realize we were getting two whole pies, not two slices and I still have plenty of peanut butter cream pie left (Thanks, Sue!)

I headed north for Cleveland, trying to keep up with updates on the King Eider from the list and Facebook.  I arrived at Edgewater Park, but not at the correct parking lot, so I scooted over to Pier W.  Another birder couple was there and reported no ducks seen at all from the observation platform, but I had to look anyway.  Craig Fritz then found me and lead me back to the correct parking area.  We scanned from the parking lot, then walked up the hill to Cliff Drive. We found White-winged (and possibly other) Scoters, Bufflehead, and a single Red-breasted Merganser, but no eider.  What with all the driving and pie, I only had about 40 minutes of good light left by the time I got to the viewing site.  It was disappointing to drive so far and dip on this bird, but if they all were easy, where would the challenge be?  Thanks to everyone who helped me look.

I then headed south on I-71 and arrived back at home at 10pm, having put over 550 miles on my car.  I ate some pie and went to bed.  This morning, I find I missed both crossbills in Hamilton County and Evening Grosbeak in Clermont on Saturday.  Ah, well - such is a birder's life.

See you in the field!
Kathi Hutton
Clermont County