OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:16:21 -0500
I spent Thanksgiving morning hiking around Scioto MetroPark, then the Greenlawn cemetery.  The beautiful weather made for an easy walk, but bird diversity was not very high.  Waterbirds are still rather scarce along the river here, and the cemetery was rather quiet.  The saving grace was large flocks of Robins and sparrows at Scioto.  Notables included:

Hooded Mergansers - the best waterfowl were in a flock of 22 in the bay at Scioto
Pied-billed Grebes - 3 were together by the Greenlawn dam
Red-br.Nuthatch - at least 2 were in the trees west of the Greenlawn chapel
Robins - flocks all along the Scioto; fewer in the cemetery (where many of the honeysuckles have been cut down).
E.Bluebirds - none at Scioto, but 4 were scattered around the cemetery
Mockingbirds - at least 4 were scattered around the fields at Scioto
Cedar Waxwings - small flocks at several spots along the Scioto, taking advantage of the berry crop
White-throated Sparrows - small groups everywhere along the Scioto; I had 120+ in 1 hour there.
Swamp Sparrows - at least 2 were around the wetlands at Scioto north of the Grange Center
Blackbirds - nothing other than 1 lone flyover Redwing at Scioto
Pine Siskins - 2 were flyovers at the ravine area of the cemetery