OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:51:12 -0500
Bill,

Thank you for your kind words! I should consider renting an apartment in
Columbus for the next month so I can get to these birds faster ;) Two or
three Rufous/Allen's have already apparently departed, so remain
unidentified (two have photos, one in Fairborn may still be present but I
haven't heard from Marie in a while to confirm). I don't know if the North
Olmsted adult male Rufous is still on site, and the lingering bird at Black
Swamp Bird Observatory remains unconfirmed to species as far as I know.

While the number of these birds is not yet a record for Ohio (the 6 so far
in Michigan IS a record), surely the PACE of the reports is on track for a
record as typically I get most reports from late November into mid-December!

While the identification of these birds is a useful byproduct of the
banding I've been doing in 3 states (MI, OH, IN) since 2001, we are also
learning quite a bit about their site fidelity, age and sex ratios, and
especially (my favorite topic), their molt patterns which is currently
rather poorly known.

Thank you to everyone who has reported these birds in the past, and in the
future too!

--
Allen T. Chartier
Inkster, Michigan