OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2012 18:16:19 -0500
Hello all,

I had the pleasure of birding with Jack Stenger today, and we hit Hoover
Reservoir, Alum Creek, and Delaware Reservoir. Here are a couple birds of
note-

Red-throated Loon- 1, continuing at Hoover Reservoir, originally seen flying
north, later relocated on the northern half of the reservoir
Common Loon- 115+ (!) at the southern end of Alum Creek. Jack and I
carefully counted a few large groups, 40 of which headed south before we
left. This was a really impressive sight, especially inland. We are
confident there were no other loon species mixed in.

Otherwise there were moderate numbers of Lesser Scaup, Redhead, Hooded
Mergansers, and other common waterfowl.

Good birding,
Sean

---
Sean Williams, 2nd year graduate student
Department of Zoology
Michigan State University
203 Natural Sciences Building
East Lansing, MI 48824