OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2012 06:02:12 -0400
Yesterday about 3PM, we heard and saw 4 Red Crossbills, in the top of the pines at the second parking lot north of the dam, on the southeast corner of the lake. All four were Reddish in color. To reach this location, follow SR305 east from the dam a short ways to where SR305 makes a hard right turn at a traffic light, this is the intersection of Warren-Measdville Road and SR305. Turn left and follow to the end of the road and the parking lot at the lake. In the extreme southeast corner of the parking lot is a grove of pines with cones in the tops of the trees. We viewed the Red Crossbills from the grassy median area to the left, as you would be exiting the parking lot. For a pleasant walk, follow the trail to the interior of the pine grove. Numerous Red-breasted Nuthatches were found here. Another interesting sighting here yesterday, was a late Semipalmated Plover that flew in to the shore, to the left of the boat ramp area. During the past week, this has also been a reliable location to search and see the visiting Western Grebe. Thanks to Dave Hochadel for previously posting about the Red Crossbills, and to Larry Richardson for originally finding them. Good luck if you look for them.

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County