OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2012 20:49:06 -0500
Hi Birders: I was out all day birding with Aaron Miller of Kidron. We saw
54 species for the day. We started at the OARDC arboretum and saw a small
flock of white-winged crossbills in the pine grove. There were 6-8 of them
and they were there less than one minute, but we saw them well.
Red-breasted nuthatches were there tool. Killbuck Marsh, near Shreve, had
all three species of swans and lots of ducks. At Wilderness Rd. in Funk
Bottoms refuge, we saw one rusty blackbird, three sandhill cranes, and a
large group of ducks that included over 75 green-winged teal. We drove up
to Wellington Upground Reservoir, south of Oberlin. The three snow geese
(two white and one blue-phase) and one Ross' goose that had been reported
last week were still there. They put on a good show flying over the lake
round and round several times. We could see the Ross' well as being smaller
with a shorter neck. There was also a single common loon, single
female/immature black scoter, and 5-6 horned grebes among the massive
numbers of coots, ruddy ducks and Canada geese. Did not find a cackling
Canada. There were also several other duck  species, but nothing else of
note.
Randy Rowe, wooster