OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
Nancy Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:14:44 -0500
Hello birders and friends,

There is only a month to go before the Lakewood Christmas Bird Count on the
west side of Cleveland takes place.  Sunday, December 30 is our official CBC
date with count week sightings from Thurs., Dec. 27 through Wed., Jan. 2.
There are many options and areas to cover.  We have lots of suburban areas,
Cleveland Metroparks land, cemetaries, the Lakefront and more, many of which
have dedicated groups that take certain areas.  We would love to have new
birders, families, and seasoned birders AND we can link people with groups
or folks can take an area that is not covered well.   Please check the
Western Cuyahoga Audubon Society's web page,  <http://www.wcasohio.org>
www.wcasohio.org and click on either the December calendar or the Christmas
Bird Count info.  You will see the count circle for our area as well as a
list of places that groups cover.  Don't forget the chili lunch at the Rocky
River Nature Center around noon.  At that time we do a preliminary tally of
species plus several "species" of chili from mild to wild. Let me know if
you would like to participate.

Now is the time to bone up on your crossbills, siskin vs. goldfinch, diving
ducks, gulls galore, pipit vs. horned lark flight calls, waxwings (look for
those Bohemians) ... don't forget the sparrows!  Hope to see or at least
hear from you!

Nancy Howell
The Cleveland Museum of Natural History
1 Wade Oval Dr., University Circle