OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2012 12:53:33 -0400
Larry Jeanblanc, Julie Karlson, and I birded at Buck Creek State Park this
morning. At the south end of the lake there were a few ducks including a
single female Black Scoter along with Ruddy Ducks, Hooded Mergansers, a
couple Buffleheads, and some Common Loons.

Later we were walking some of the horsemen trails and a Peregrine Falcon
flew over. In the pines along Grant Road there are lots of Red-breasted
Nuthatches. We saw at least 15 this morning.

At the north end of the lake there are extensive mudflats but a limited
variety of shorebirds. There were over 250 Killdeer, a few Dunlins, and a
Greater Yellowlegs. There were also many Bonaparte's Gulls, Ring-billed
Gulls, and a few Herring Gulls. While watching the Killdeer a Merlin showed
up and started chasing a Killdeer. All of the Killdeer flushed. The Merlin
hit one of the Killdeer and knocked it to the ground but didn't kill it. It
just left it and landed in a tree at the edge of the lake. A few minutes
later we saw it again and it landed in a tree closer to us and we got great
looks at it through the scope.

News from outside Ohio. Larry Jeanblanc, Julie Karlson, and I spent a few
days birding in Cape May and found a leucistic Yellow-rumped Warbler. It was
very striking. It was all white except for the yellow spots on the head,
sides, and rump. I have placed some pictures of the bird on our Audubon
website at www.clarkcountyohioaudubon.org.

Doug Overacker
Springfield, Ohio