OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2012 17:03:53 -0400
I spent the morning around Alum Creek Lake, then made the fateful decision to go west to Highbanks (instead of east to Hoover).  Gull #s at ACL were not impressive (perhaps 200 for all species), so the Hoover Little Gull was not part of a massive gull movement into the area.  ACL did, however, have a modest increase in loons and grebes, with 6 Common Loons and 8 Horned Grebes, most of which were between the SummerWood access and the Cheshire causeway.

Both ACL and Highbanks had late migrants and winter residents, including lots of sparrows.  At ACL, I stopped at New Galena boat launch, the beach area, Lewis Center Rd, Cheshire causeway, and SummerWood access, while at Highbanks I hiked the Coyote trail and checked the nature Center feeders.  Notables included:

Red-br.Nuthatch - at least 1 is visiting the Highbanks Nature Center feeders
Golden-cr.Kinglets - only singles at New Galena and the Visitor's Center, so their peak has passed
E.Bluebirds - flocks of 8-10 birds at both New Galena and the beach area, so they're on the move here.
Cedar Waxwings - small 10-20 bird flocks at most areas
Yellow-rumped Warblers - some at every stop, with the most being 15 around New Galena
Tree Sparrows - at least 2 were in the scrub east of the ACL Visitors Center, my FOS
Field Sparrows - 8-10 were in the same location as the Field Sparrows
Chipping Sparrows - 2 were at New Galena, while another was at the Highbanks feeders
Swamp Sparrow - 1 was lurking in the pocket marsh at SummerWood access
Fox Sparrows - 2 were singing in the scrub trails at New Galena, while another 2 were at the Highbanks feeders
White-throated Sparrows - flocks at every stop, with the most being 50 at New Galena