OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2012 10:32:46 -0500
 This is my third try since 6AM to send this message. 10:32AM.

Hopefully this message does not become a duplicate. I originally sent it to "OHIO BIRDS" at 6AM, and just noticed that presently, at 8:13AM, it has not yet been posted.

My wife Denise and I arrived at the Lark Bunting site at 11:50AM. Farm pond on the east side of the road, large plastic ziplock bag hanging in a small tree on the west side of the road, but no birders. After the initial posting, we headed toward the Sugar Creek Area, being the first non local birders to arrive. Shortly after our arrival, Irene Krise and her husband arrived. At noon we spotted the Lark Bunting diagonally left, up and on the top of the hill to the west, in the top of the tallest tree. This is the area the bird was at during our entire visit. Our next birding companions to arrive were Jeff and Marian Kraus, and then Dan Sanders and Doreene Linzell. We were able to observe the Lark Bunting off and on from noon, until our departure at about 1:45PM. The Lark Bunting appears to be a probale female or first year male, showing the bold white wing patches and dainty looking white eye ring. Our group was very fortunate that the the owner of the farm, Henry Hershberger came to visit with us, and was a gracious enough host, that he took us up in the field, for closeup looks. The site location is straight north of the town of Sugar Creek, and just south of the town of Barrs Mills. The address is 3784 Penrod Road. Penrod Road is east of, and parallel with SR93. There is an attendee log in the ziplock bag, on the side of the hill. Keep in mind, at a distance, the Lark Bunting in this plumage, looks a little like a large female House Finch. Hopefully the celebrity visitor sticks around on Sunday, for others to see. This was Ohio Life Bird #342 for Denise and I.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County