OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2012

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2012 17:40:33 -0500
Was the Little Gull previously reported at Hoover a first year bird?

At 5pm I was watching a small flock of Bonies at the County Line Road parking lot and observed an individual that seemed to have some 'social issues' with another bird. It was very darkly patterned on the top wing, like the "M" pattern described by Sibley. It had a black band at the end of its tail. It sat on the water for about 10 seconds, long enough to see what I will describe as a black, horizontal wing stripe just above the water line. I also felt as though the top of the head had more dark color than the Bonies around it. I studied the underwing in flight and it did NOT appear particularly dark as in the adult pictures.

It eventually took flight north on the reservoir with the flock and did not return.

Could this have been the Little Gull or just a first winter Bonaparte's?

Matt Valencic
AMS - Prostate Health
440-785-6321
Sent from my iPhone