OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2012 09:45:20 -0500
Yesterday afternoon, Saturday, about 4PM, at the northeast end of Malmsberry Road, in southwestern Mahoning County, we had a large flock of 200+ Horned Larks, with Lapland Longspurs, and Snow Buntings mixed in. On the road nearby were some American Pipits. The attraction to this spot was a narrow patch of manure spread on the snow. Also, while at this location, a Northern Harrier passed over, and a single Greater White-fronted Goose was in the field to the west, with 800+ Canada Geese. At the south end of Malmsberry Road, at the intersection with Pine Lake Road, were two Savannah Sparrows on the road mixed with Dark-eyed Juncos, Song Sparrows, and White-throated Sparrows. We do not ever remember having Savannah Sparrows on a Christmas Count. The general area centered around the intersection of SR534 and SR165 has traditionally been an easy place to find Horned Larks all year long. To check for all of these open country birds we suggest driving the roads in the basic limits of Calla Road on the north, Smith Goshen Road on the west, Pine Lake Road on the south, and Seacrist Road on the east. On SR534 between Middletown and Calla Roads is Martig Farms, one of the largest suppliers of sunflower seeds in the United States. If you are here the right time of the year there are huge fields of sunflowers. On a birders historical note, the farm northwest of the intersection of Malmsberry and Pine Lake Roads, was the last known location for Barn Owls in Mahoning County, last seen by us in 2006. Supposedly they had been at the Malmsberry Farm for over 60 years. The family passed away, the farm was auctioned off, the new owner moved in, and did not appreciate the owls, we never saw them again. They nested above the upper left corner of the front porch, they accessed the recess in the porch roof thru a hole. There is actually a groove in the bricks where they used to land and claw up the face and thru the hole.Losing our last sure fire location for seeing Barn Owls was a sad day for us, less than three miles from our home in Damascus. Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County