OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2012 11:25:37 -0500
Hi,

The Avon Lake Varied Thrush, is very cooperative and offers beautiful up
close looks.  The bird is in a condominium compound at 401 Bounty Way unit
166.  The residents are very excited and helpful even coming out to direct
attention to the bird when they spot it.

The bird is feeding on malus fruit around the unit and occasionally looks
through the needle litter of the various conifers.  When not feeding it
retreats to the tops of bare trees to the north (right when facing unit
166).  While I was there the bird was by itself and not accompanying any
American Robins.  While a bit skitish to vehicles, it did not seem to mind
the presence of birders in close proximity keeping their voices low.

Haans