OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2012 14:25:47 -0500
I'm at Kelley's Island scouting for tomorrow's Christmas count.  I just had a young golden eagle at the north end of the island.  It is in the quarry west of the glacial grooves at the far west end.  It got up briefly and was chased by some crows.  It settled back down but I cannot relocate it.  This area is a maze of cedars with scattered open areas.  Its heavy overcast but I was able to get some distant photos.

Also of note out here are 2 purple sandpipers on the southwest end of the island.  A 1st cycle Thayer's gull is with a group of herring gulls near the boat ramp by the state park.  Also several small groups of redpolls.