OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 10 Dec 2012 17:18:04 -0500214_ISO-8859-1 I had a Northern Mockingbird in my Twin Lakes back yard today, 3 miles
north of Kent. Saw it for about a minute. An oddity for December 10
around these parts, but not unheard of.

Brad Bolton40_10Dec201217:18:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:14:24 -0500
The 2012 Toledo CBC, held this past Sunday December 16, set another record

with a stellar total of 110 species.  This tops the 108 species tallied

last year and marks the third consecutive year a new state record has been

established on the Toledo count.  Kudos to all participants who -- every

year -- cheerfully an proficiently scour both great and anything-but-great

birding areas within our circle.  Coverage of the open waters of Maumee

Bay by Captains Zwiebel and Stockford once again paid big dividends.

Species highlights include the following: Greater white-fronted goose,

Snow goose, White-winged scoter, Black scoter, Common loon, Red-necked

grebe (1st count record), Turkey vulture, Merlin, Sandhill crane,

Killdeer, Wilson’s snipe, Long-eared owl, Northern saw-whet owl,

Red-headed woodpecker, Northern shrike, Marsh wren, Gray catbird, Savannah

sparrow, Yellow-headed blackbird, Red crossbill, White-winged crossbill

(85!), and Common redpoll.

The following all-time Toledo CBC high counts are also of interest:

American robin (1,879), Red-winged blackbird (28,229), and Pine siskin

(433, including 375 at Woodlawn Cemetery).

More details can be found at Rarebird.org.

Matt

Matt Anderson

The Andersons, Inc.

PO Box 119