OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 17:43:36 -0500
Hi everybody. Well the photo of the owl is pretty intriguing it is indeed an absolutely a barred owl. It is taken in dark light and it does not surprise me that the observer was surprised because some of the features do look fair for great Gray owl. But based on overall size, head size, coloration, shape of barring and spotting of the underparts and upper parts and other characteristics, this is indeed a Barred Owl!

Best of birding -
JB

JB
CLE, OH