OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 14:22:51 -0500
There was a nice influx of gulls along the lake today.  I watched until
about 10:30 and there was a steady movement to the west.  The gulls were
overhead moving along the shoreline.  Most groups were 10-20 birds with
several groups of 100+.  The larger gulls dominated.  This was the first day
where I saw a lot of great black-backed gulls.  Included were 3 lesser
black-backed, 2 Iceland, and 2 glaucous.  I also had a first year bird early
that looked a bit like a Thayer's, but it was early and the lighting was not
good.  Also of note was a white-winged scoter.  There was one flock of
Bonaparte's.  It landed on the lake toward the end of the count.  Gulls have
been moving all afternoon.  I have looked occasionally, but have not seen
any more white-winged gulls.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey

Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake County

December 22, 2012, 0730-1030

Weather- cloudy, Wind- NNW 30-40 decreasing to NW 15-25

Temperature 33 F, Barometer- 29.96-30.03

Humidity-  75-74, dew point- 26-27

Waves- 8-10 decreasing to 6-8 feet, Direction- west

Gadwall   9

American black duck   3

Mallard   14

Ring-necked duck   1

Greater scaup   11

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER   4

Common goldeneye   4

Common merganser   33

Red-breasted merganser   2,223

Bonaparte's gull   74

Ring-billed gull  1,140

ICELAND GULL   2 (ad, 3rd year)

Iceland/Thayer's gull 1 (1st year)

GLAUCOUS GULL   2 (ad, 1st )

LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL   3 (2 ad, 3rd)

Herring gull   9,760

Great black-backed gull   83

John Pogacnik

4765 Lockwood Road