OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 19:34:32 -0500
This afternoon, Saturday, from about 12:30PM to 2:30PM, we birded at the Evans Lake area in southeastern Mahoning County. The variety and numbers of birdlife seen, was amazing, and quite rewarding. 34 Tundra Swans was our first highlight of the day. Included in the 34, was 2 juveniles. A young Peregrine Falcon was sitting on top of the rail at the top of the spillway. There was a massive concentration of what we believe to be at least 10,000+ Ring-billed Gulls. Also in this mass were 300+ Herring Gulls, 2 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, and probably some other notables we did not pick out. Waterfowl variety was outstanding; highlights were 12 Common Goldeneyes, 1 pair of Greater Scaup, 150+ Northern Shovelers, 200+ Green-winged Teal, 150+ Gadwall, 50+ Pied-billed Grebe, 80+ Buffleheads, 120+ Hooded Mergansers, 60+ Ruddy Ducks, 40+ American Coots, and 2 Horned Grebes. Best viewing is from Heron Bay at the end of Calla Road, on the northwest end of the lake, off of SR164. Some other birds of interest nearby to the south; were 10 more Tundra Swans, including 2 more juveniles, and 55+ Common Mergansers at Pine Lake. To finish out the area visit we found a Northern Shrike, and a flock of 80+ Horned Larks with 5 Lapland Longspurs mixed in.

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County